Taste of Brazil Recipe - Vatapá
If you didn't make it to the Taste of Brazil Dinner during AfroBrazilFest, don't worry, you can try whipping up some homemade Vatapá.
Vatapá is a traditional Bahian dish from the northeast of Brazil. Bom apetite!
- 2 Onions, chopped.
- 1 Cup dried shrimp
- 1 Cup ginger – I cup
- 1/2 Cup natural peanut
- 1/2 Cup natural cashew
- 2 Cups yucca flour
- 1 Pound of shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 Coconut, fresh coconut milk
- 1/4 cup Palm oil (dendê) oil
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Place the onions and the ginger with ½ cup of water in a blender and puree well. Set aside.
- Blend the cashew, peanut and dried shrimp with ½ cup of water until the mixture becomes a well blended paste.
- In a cooking pan put 2 cups of coconut and add the yucca flour little by little, mixing to avoid clumping.
- Add the onion and shrimp mixture and start to cook, after 5-7 minutes add the palm oil.
- Stir constantly until mixture cooks for about 30 minutes. The vatapá is done when it becomes darker and starts to become wrinkled.
blog comments powered by Disqus